Who Are You Calling Tacky?! At Festive Function, YoPros Stuff Backpacks Instead of Stockings
NEARLY 2,000 BOOKS were bundled up and distributed to local kiddos, thanks to the young-professional supporters of the Barbara Bush Houston Literacy Foundation.
Forty guests donned their tackiest sweaters to a festive event at the Children’s Museum, where they stuffed backpacks with books, school supplies and sensory toys, all of which were purchased using the funds from the organization’s Storybook Gala. The next day, they distributed the backpacks at San Francisco Nativity Academy of Houston and Small Steps Nurturing Center, where they found dozens of kids eager to continue their learning through reading, writing and critical thinking.
Members of the Foundation’s young professional group are proud to carry out its mission of breaking the intergenerational cycle of low literacy in Houston.
Alexa Bode and Grace Gosnell
Victoria Villarreal and Allie Jarreau
Eleni McGee and Lindsey Hennigan
Saqqara Campbell and Jennifer Thompson
Kevin Aguilar, Ashley Monic, Elyssa Buntzell, Cameron Crenwelge, Eleni McGee, and Grace Gosnell
Pre-K student at San Francisco Nativity Academy looking through his new book
San Francisco Nativity Academy students holding up their new books
Students with their new books
- Kathie Lee Gifford Headlines Storybook Soiree, Raises Nearly Half ... ›
- Turning the Page: 'Celebration of Reading' Raises Nearly $2 Mil at ... ›
- YoPros Take It Over the Rainbow for Literacy at 'Storybook' Gala Kickoff - Houston CityBook ›
- Local Literacy Nonprofit — and the Astros! —Turns the Page at Record-Breaking Bash - Houston CityBook ›
- Warmth, Light, Donuts and Snow (Really!): Here Are the Best Ways to Celebrate Hanukkah - Houston CityBook ›