MFAH’s Kinder Building Hosts First Gala — and It Was Truly ‘Grand’
SINCE IT OPENED in November, the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building has been a buzzed-about addition to the Museum District. It is newly home to not one but two restaurants helmed by Michelin-starred chefs, and last weekend finally hosted its first large-scale event, the Museum of Fine Arts' Grand Gala Ball.
The gala offered an opportunity for 300 supporters to raise a glass (in person!) to the stunning new building, which for that evening was decked out by The Events Company in swaths of shimmering grays and beautiful pink blooms. Chaired by Phoebe and Bobby Tudor — she wore a one-shouldered magenta number that perfectly matched the cascading floral arrangements of the centerpieces and on the staircase banister — the Grand Gala Ball featured a three-course dinner by City Kitchen and accompanied by the sounds of Divisi Amp'd. Flowers even adorned the appetizer of Spanish artichokes, and Sweet Nation crafted an amaretto cake in the shape of the building for dessert.
The evening included remarks by the museum's director, Gary Tinterow, along with Mayor Sylvester Turner and building namesake Rich Kinder, who is also the chairman of the MFAH's Board of Trustees. And DJ SoulCirque, an "interactive DJ band" incorporating live instruments and visuals into funky DJ sets, got the crowd grooving after dinner.
In all, the Grand Gala Ball raised more than $1.7 million. Grand, indeed!
Brian and Laura Carlton, Kristin Kulpinksi, Will Pritchard
Frank and Stephanie Tsuru
Christopher Gardner, Gary Tinterow
Ileana and Michael Trevino
Jeff Martin, Allison Weaver
Katherine and John Plumb
Minnette Boesel; Necole Irvin
Murry and Polly Bowden
Sue and Rusty Burnett
Tom and Liz Glanville
- Phoebe Tudor on Turning 60: ‘Let’s Do This!’ - Houston CityBook ›
- Two New Exhibitions Coming to the MFAH This Fall Will Provide Fresh Perspectives on the Works of O’Keeffe, Picasso and Calder - Houston CityBook ›
- Sprawling New MFAH Show Illustrates the History of Transatlantic Slave Trade - Houston CityBook ›
- From Paris with Love: Inside MFAH's $1.2 Mil Grand Gala Ball - Houston CityBook ›
- BBBS Gala Goes Green — and the Wild After-Party Was Electric - Houston CityBook ›
- Ballet Building Officially Named to Honor Margaret Alkek Williams at Downtown Fete - Houston CityBook ›
- Al Fresco Dinner at Buffalo Bayou Park Fetes $100 Million Gift from Kinders — and Astros Win! - Houston CityBook ›
- Life and Legacy of Big-Time Benefactor Celebrated at MFAH’s Grand Gala Ball - Houston CityBook ›