Holiday Gala Celebrates Doctors Who Live Secret Double-Lives — as Artists!
ARTS OF HEALING, a Houston nonprofit advocating for artistic expression as a method of healing for both patients and physicians, hosted its annual holiday fundraiser at The Post Oak Hotel, where supporters raised more than $300,000 for the cause.
More than 400 festively clad guests were greeted by a jazz trio consisting of doctors Dean Moore, Mark Dannenbaum and Jose Miguel-Yamal as they perused the art exhibit in the lobby. In the grand ballroom, outfitted by Blooming Gallery, the raffle and silent and live auctions awaited; jewelry and art created by talented doctors and pediatric patients brought in the big bucks!
Live music courtesy of the party band Password had galagoers — including the night's honorees, 15 Houston-area physicians who are also arbiters of creativity as a means of healing — dancing the night away.
Studies are increasingly proving that art is beneficial in medical and clinical settings — not only to patients, who experience greater healing, but also to the physicians and nurses, who report higher workplace satisfaction. The proceeds from the Arts of Healing gala will go toward facilitating art-making and creative opportunities outside of a hospital setting, and some will also go to local nonprofit The Sunshine Kids, which supports children undergoing cancer treatment and their families.
Bernie Cantu and Rubens Franz
Susan Beatte and Nick Traber
Berry Fairchild and Joseph Cochran
Shetal Amin and Kishan Dwarakanath
Mr. and Mrs. Chan Do and Moni Bohnisch
Vinaya Rednam and Ethan Stoll
Kristen Collins, Nicole Allen and Sarah Collins
Jose-Miguel Yamal, Dean Moore and Mark Dannenbaum
Isaac Raijman, German Newall and Henry Mentz
Eric Powitzky and The Sunshine Kids
Betsy and Jimmy Montgomery
- At Longnecker, New Group Show Echoes Loss and Renewal for Black Artists ›
- Thrive + Inspire: Dr. Eick Reminded of ‘Healing Power of Animals’ Amid Pandemic ›
- Police Officer’s Paintings Bring About Healing and Connection ›
- Art Really Is a Tool for Health and Healing — and This Only-in-Houston Conference Will Prove It ›
- Festive, Philanthropic Dinner Gets to the 'Art' of the Matter ›
- Arts of Healing Promotes New Summer Camp at Glamorous Holiday Exhibit and Dinner - Houston CityBook ›