NIGHTLIFE'S BIG COMEBACK?! With this week's announcement of several new bars and clubs opening their doors in the coming days, Houstonians are looking forward to the scene's reemergence.
Comin' 2gether cocktail at Space Cowboy (photo by Dylan Scardino)
SPACE COWBOY In the Heights, the first concept from Night Moves Hospitality, helmed by industry vets Greg Perez and Lyle Bento, opens this weekend. Space Cowboy bows inside the renovated Heights House Hotel at 100 W. Cavalcade on Friday, an eclectic indoor-outdoor space including a 4,000-square-foot covered area providing access to the hotel's pool and cabanas.
A cocktail menu by Monkey's Tail alums Samantha Ruiz and Karen Cervantes features "lighthearted" concoctions like the refreshing Comin' 2gether, with banana rum, whiskey and a papaya popsicle. Large-format, shareable cocktails and adult Capri-Sun-style pouches will also be on offer.
And in the way of food, expect equally innovative "island comfort food," inspired by Bento's Hawaiian upbringing — a la Tako Sunomono with grilled octopus, or Army Rice with spam, kimchi, miso corn and egg.
The Night Moves group will open three other concepts in 2021, including Trash Panda Drinking Club on Edison.
Starck Room (photo by Al Torres)
STARCK ROOM Midtown's latest lounge is the Starck Room, currently in a soft-opening stage and planning a grand opening bash for May. The upscale space is inspired by the work of French designer Philippe Starck; a palette of black, gold and white gives a vibe of sophistication, and whimsical accents like a graffiti mural add dimension.
To drink, there are unique spins on classic cocktails, plus plenty of high-end champagnes and wines. Artisan flatbreads and an assortment of desserts are also available. Mezcal tastings will be part of the concept's offerings, and a menu of late-night bites will soon follow.
CHERRY Meanwhile, a new haunt promises to glam up Downtown, which has been eerily quiet for the past year. The '80s-and-'90s-inspired "micro club" Cherry will open May 7 underneath Captain Foxheart's Bad News Bar on historic Main. Inside, expect vibes that channel Alice in Wonderland and nostalgic rock 'n' roll — and a playlist promising an "all-night dance party."
The bar is decorated with vintage TVs showcasing old MTV hits, and VIPs can post up next to the DJ booth on the mezzanine and watch the action on the dance floor. Speaking of the dance floor, you can't miss it: Just look for the disco ball in the shape of a life-size unicorn.
- The Ion to Welcome Trio of Local Restaurants by Summer - Houston ... ›
- With Live Music and Funky Art, 'Cowboy Surfer' Bar Opens in ... ›
- Memorial Park's New Patio Bar Is Perfect for a Socially Distant New ... ›
- Restaurants Offering Healthy Options to Kickstart 2021 - Houston ... ›
- The Year's Most Anticipated Restaurants - Houston CityBook ›
- A Vibrant Retro Motel Has Opened in the Heights, the District’s First Boutique Lodging - Houston CityBook ›
- Monkey Business! Another New Nightlife-Hospitality Group Announces Fun Forthcoming Concept - Houston CityBook ›
- New at Night: Cheers to These Four Clever Concept Bars! - Houston CityBook ›
- New Raccoon-Themed Near Northside Bar Trash Panda Won’t Leave You Dumpster Diving - Houston CityBook ›
- ‘Sober October’ Doesn’t Have to be Limited to One Month: Non-Alcoholic Shop Opens Near Rice Village - Houston CityBook ›