HGO Returns to Live Performances with an In-Person ‘Sound of Music’ Singalong
HOUSTON GRAND OPERA announced today that its return to live, in-person performances will kick off on May 8. My Favorite Things: Songs from The Sound of Music is a socially distanced outdoor singalong and fundraiser that will be held at The University of Houston's TDECU Stadium, marking the company's first return to live programing after more than a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Since the cancelation of HGO's in-person 2020-21 season, the company has been releasing a bevy of free material via its newly created HGO Digital, which is available on the on-demand, global arts and culture streaming platform Marquee TV.
"I could not be more excited to reunite at University of Houston with our audiences this May," said HGO Artistic and Music Director Patrick Summers in a press release. "While the HGO Digital season has shown us, brilliantly, how much the virtual realm has to offer, there is nothing in this world like being in the physical presence of incredible operatic voices. I've missed it so much, and I know our audiences have too."
The singalong and fundraiser will feature members of the principal cast of the full production of The Sound of Music, which was originally scheduled for the company's 2020-21 season but was cancelled due to the pandemic. Cast members include Trinidadian soprano Jeanine De Bique as Maria and baritone Michael Mayes as Captain von Trapp, who will be joined by the HGO Chorus and Orchestra.
Bique, who stars as Maria in the production, will also join the HGO Orchestra early this summer for the virtual concert Jeanine De Bique: In Concert. Conducted by Summers, the evening of works by Handel and Mozart will be available for streaming on May 14.
Also in May: HGO will make its highly anticipated 2021-22 season announcement, which is expected to mark the company's return to The Wortham Theater Center in October.
- HGO Studio Soprano Villalón Predicts 'Renewed Longing for ... ›
- HGO Yo-Pros Party With Compass and CityBook at C. Baldwin ... ›
- Live Music Venues Regroup and Reopen as Covid Fears Wane - Houston CityBook ›
- HGO Sets Return of Live Shows for October, With Women in Key Roles Onstage and Off - Houston CityBook ›
- Dramatic HGO Opening Night Performance and Al Fresco Dinner Nets Nearly Half a Mil. No Bull! - Houston CityBook ›
- Let It Snow! HGO’s Raven McMillon on the Boundary-Breaking World-Premiere ‘Snowy Day’ - Houston CityBook ›