Houston’s New Restaurant Row, Soul-Warming Curries, and More of This Week’s Food News in Small Bites
THERE’S NO SHORTAGE of delicious dining news to report this week. Here are a few tasty tidbits to bring you up to speed.
Clarkwood co-owners Army Sadeghi and Mason Clark
Cheers to the New Restaurant Row! Look for 2022 to be the year that Allen Parkway becomes Houston’s next Restaurant Row. In addition to two forthcoming concepts from Ben Berg and two from Chris Shepherd — and, not far off the corridor, Bludorn — happy-hour and nightlife options are beginning to emerge. An Old-Hollywood-style bar from Mason Clark and Army Sadeghi has popped up in the old Stages Theatre. Clarkwood will share a courtyard with Andiron steakhouse, opening this spring from Sambrooks Management Company. For now, enjoy inventive but accessible concoctions — like an espresso martini with a torched marshmallow, or a sage-infused G&T — inside the 1930-built Mediterranean-style building, whose architectural details were enhanced during the buildout.
Shrimp Shahi Korma at Mahesh's Kitchen
Curry for a Cause at High-End Indian Destination Still-new Mahesh’s Kitchen in Sugar Land has rolled out lunch service and also announced a fundraising initiative for the month of February. Warming comfort-food options on the daytime menu include several vegetarian curries, butter chicken and shrimp shahi korma; $2 from every curry dish sold during lunch hours (11am-2pm, Tues.-Fri.) will go to Daya, a Sugar Land-based nonprofit that supports South Asian survivors of domestic violence. Stay through happy hour, which offers $3 off signature cocktails (Cardamom Mojito, anyone?) and tasty snacks like corn chaat.
Common Bond On-the-Go at The Ion
What’s New at The Ion In the last few months, Common Bond has opened several more of its popular On-the-Go cafes. The area’s sixth has just bowed at The Ion, serving breakfast until 11am and lunch from 11am-2pm. And, of course, baked goods like croissants as big as your face will be available all day. Grab to-go, or grab a seat in front of a colorful mural by local artist Shelbi Nicole and soak up The Ion’s creative energy. Later this spring, Late August (from Chris Williams and Dawn Burrell), David Cordúa’s Lymbar, Second Draught taproom and Stuff’d Wings will also open at The Ion.
Galleria Speakeasy Strikes Gold! “Speakeasy” seems to be the season’s buzzword. After the recent announcement of The Marigold Club, another concept has opened, this one in the Galleria area. Juliet restaurant officially opens on Feb. 7, appearing at first glance to be a movie theater. Diners first enter what appears to be a lobby, complete with themed décor of popcorn and candy; other elements include framed black-and-white film stills. The menu continues the theme, with an appetizer section dubbed “Previews” and a list of side dishes called “Co-Stars,” for example. And a fun cocktail list, developed by the Ladies of Libation, features drinks named after iconic movies. Rich reds, mirrors and pops of gold are found throughout the vast space — and gold also makes an appearance on one of the “Main Events,” completely covering a 34-ounce tomahawk ribeye.
- Two New Adair Concepts Restaurants Coming to West U - Houston ... ›
- New Restaurants! Get a Sneak Peek at Five Eateries Opening Right ... ›
- Sinful Sweets, New Restaurants and Fresh Picks in Rice Village ... ›
- New Restaurants: High-End Sushi, Down-Home Burgers & More ... ›
- Landmark Restaurant Space on Westheimer Will Soon Have a New Tenant — with Major Chef Cred - Houston CityBook ›
- Devouring Houston 2022: CityBook’s Annual Roundup of the Latest and Greatest in Dining - Houston CityBook ›
- Now Open: A First-of-Its-Kind Restaurant at the Rodeo. Yee-Haw! - Houston CityBook ›
- Best Happy Hours Now: Come for the Drinks, Stay for the Food - Houston CityBook ›
- This Artist's Astroturfed Window Display Will Compel You to Dance! - Houston CityBook ›
- Can’t-Miss Spring Openings: Return of a Celeb Chef, New Montrose Hot Spot & More! - Houston CityBook ›
- Food News! Uchiko Announces Opening Date, Chef Shuffle at La Colombe d’Or & More - Houston CityBook ›
- This Week in Food: New Restaurants Galore, Middle Eastern Mania and More! - Houston CityBook ›
- Memorial Day Food Specials and Other Fun Weekend Happenings! - Houston CityBook ›
- With These New Restaurants, Houston’s Dining Scene Is as Hot as the August Temps - Houston CityBook ›