TUCKED IN BETWEEN the oak-lined avenues of fine residences, the medical district, and the leafy reaches of Rice University, Rice Village has remained an iconic shopping destination since 1938. Houston’s walkable garden district has recently been refreshed with more sidewalks, storefronts, landscaping, parking and new retail. With a growing global array of eateries including Spanish, French, Italian and Middle Eastern cuisines — plus sweets galore — there’s no need to have a dining plan upon arrival. Just follow your cravings! Here’s what’s cooking.
Hamsa (photo by Kirsten Gilliam)
Hamsa Following the success of its recently debuted Badolina Bakery & Café in Rice Village, Sof Hospitality (also behind Doris Metropolitan on Shepherd) is opening a modern Israeli restaurant adjacent to the bakery in March or April. Expect a sharp focus on Israeli food with an emphasis on vegetable-centric and shareable dishes. Hamsa’s wine list, which includes many by Middle Eastern producers, should be a real eye-opener for oenophiles.
The Rice Box
The Rice Box Look inside the packed-to-the-brim Chinese to-go cartons and you’ll find a lot to love. The quick wok-fired, Asian-inspired fare is top quality, from the seasonal veggies to the local 44 Farms beef (try it with the silky noodle dishes). The Rice Box will offer counter pick-up, drive-through or delivery from Favor and also phone orders. Opening date early spring.
Cherif Mbjodi, Victoria Bludorn and Aaron Bludorn (photo by Michael Anthony)
Chef Aaron Bludorn’s Unnamed Project The prime 7,100-square-foot space formerly home to the Politan Row food hall has been leased by acclaimed chef Aaron Bludorn and his restaurateur wife Victoria Pappas Bludorn for a yet-to-be-named concept coming this summer. Highly pedigreed manager Cherif Mbodji will serve as a partner in the project. The Bludorns fell in love with the Rice Village location for their second concept, particularly the vintage nature of the standalone building and the neighborhood charm and pedestrian orientation of the retail area. The new concept will join recent brand extensions including Bludorn Catering and Events and Bludorn at Home, an upscale, chef-prepared meal program.
Sprinkles Cupcakes L.A’s most beloved cupcake boutique has just arrived in Rice Village. Over the years, Sprinkles Cupcakes has added cookies, brownies, and ice cream to its portfolio. For more icing on the cake, recently it introduced a line of chocolates inspired by its cupcake flavors. “That Sprinkles has chosen Rice Village for its next location is a testament to the continued evolution of Rice Village and its ability to attract top-quality tenants,” said Morgan Lera, investment manager of Rice Management Company, in a statement.
Van Leeuwan Ice Cream
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream Here’s the scoop on seasonal flavors at this still-new shop known for made-from-scratch, decadent, dairy and vegan ice cream. Exotic winter selections include blue jasmine tea; vegan yuzu and sake; Fior di Latte chip; and blood-orange Creamsicle. We still love you, chocolate-fudge-brownie ice cream, and struggle not to take a pint or two home. Another new outpost will grace The Montrose Collective this March (more on this soon).
ACASA margaritas in mason jars
Rice Village Farmers Market The open-air market tempts with new discoveries every week, ranging from sustainably sourced produce and chef-made plates to fresh morning coffee and made-to-order Acasa margaritas sold in mason jars. First and third Sundays, 9am-1pm, Kelvin Dr. and Amherst St.
Isidora Flower & Gift Shop
Isidora Flower and Gift Shop After moving to Houston from Peru to seek medical treatment, Isidora Flower Shop owner Thalia Jaguande decided to stay and “give back” to the city in a beautiful way: with flowers! Jaguande’s philosophy is that “every day is a special day for celebrating life.” The team curates its selection of blooms weekly and designs all arrangements inspired by color palettes. Stop and smell the roses, but also find gifts produced by small businesses in the U.S., a succulents bar, plants, and gift boxes. Isidora surely will create a stunning Valentine’s bouquet for that special someone: Its Valentine’s Day collection launches 1/24.
S'mores at Sweet Paris (photo by Julie Soefer)
Sweet Paris Creperie & Café This year, Sweet Paris will relocate its original outpost to a brand-new building with a sidewalk patio on Morningside in Rice Village. The Sweet Paris brand was founded in 2012 by Allison and Ivan Chavez “to revive the art of eating crepes.” In addition to sweet and savory crepes, Sweet Paris offers waffles, salads, paninis, soups, milkshakes, mimosas, hot espresso and French Riviera cocktails. "It is an exciting time as Sweet Paris continues to expand and lay down roots within Rice Village, where we were originally founded," Allison Chavez said in a news release. Sweet Paris currently operates 10 locations.
- Historic Shopping District Welcomes Sweet New Tenants for the ... ›
- Hip Furniture Store Opening First Houston Location in Rice Village ... ›
- New Rice Village Pop-Up to Delight Eco-Conscious Fashionistas ... ›
- Local Foods to Expand, Absorbing Next-Door Benjy's Restaurant in ... ›
- Houston’s New Restaurant Row, Soul-Warming Curries, and More of This Week’s Food News in Small Bites - Houston CityBook ›
- Devouring Houston 2022: CityBook’s Annual Roundup of the Latest and Greatest in Dining - Houston CityBook ›
- Van Leeuwen Ice Cream Bows in Montrose with Wild New Chef-Driven Flavor — You’ll Go Bananas! - Houston CityBook ›
- New Wine Lounge in Old Benjy’s Digs Dishes Creative Bites - Houston CityBook ›
- Can’t-Miss Spring Openings: Return of a Celeb Chef, New Montrose Hot Spot & More! - Houston CityBook ›
- This Week in Food: New Restaurants Galore, Middle Eastern Mania and More! - Houston CityBook ›
- Memorial Day Food Specials and Other Fun Weekend Happenings! - Houston CityBook ›
- Phat Eatery’s Expansion, Japanese-Peruvian Fusion, and More of This Week’s Tastiest Food News in Small Bites - Houston CityBook ›
- High-End Showroom Adds to Rice Village's Dynamic Design Scene - Houston CityBook ›
- Hello, Goodbye: This Week’s Openings, Closures and Other Tasty Bits - Houston CityBook ›
- With These New Restaurants, Houston’s Dining Scene Is as Hot as the August Temps - Houston CityBook ›
- Tel Aviv Vibes: Inside Rice Village’s Brightly Modern New Hamsa - Houston CityBook ›
- Fall Beckons with New Restaurant Openings and Expansions - Houston CityBook ›
- This Piping-Hot Food News Has Us Melting: The Openings and Expansions You Need to Know This Week - Houston CityBook ›
- Restaurant Revivals, 'Hidden' Sushi, and the Rest of This Week's Food News - Houston CityBook ›
- All-Day Beer Garden Opens, Tex-Mex Icon Closes, and More Food News - Houston CityBook ›
- Iconic Burger Joint Expands, Sushi Fave Rolls Out a Sandwich Pop-Up, and More of This Week’s Food News! - Houston CityBook ›