ALWAYS ONE OF the highlights of the spring social season, the Ballet Ball returned to its home — the Grand Foyer of Downtown’s Wortham Center — for the first time since Covid forced the event virtual. And since, in a couple of the years before the pandemic, the gala was held in a tent outside due to damage the Wortham sustained from Hurricane Harvey, the soaring space decorated by Richard Flowers to match the sparkling “Jewels” them was truly a sight to behold for the more than 400 black-tied guests.
The ball’s bottom line lived up to the posh theme. The Houston Ballet raised a gleaming $1.4 million at the event.
The theme, borrowed from George Balanchine’s ballet of the same name, provided a great excuse for Flowers to bring the bling. “The balconies of the Grand Foyer, adorned with statement necklaces, overlooked a stunning gemstone-shaped dance floor and tables decorated with vivid emerald tablecloths and ruby-red centerpieces,” explained a rep for the events organizers. “Throughout the evening, guests enjoyed one-of-a-kind experiences including a lash and gemstone station.”
Guests dined on a Jackson and Company-created meal of saffron-scented snapper with leek and kumquat emulsion, with sides of poached fennel and potatoes au gratin. For dessert: a little “jewelry box” filled with a blonde brownie covered in white chocolate and caramel mousse.
After dinner, guests took to the dance floor to show off not only their glimmering jewelry — but also their dance moves.
Notables on hand included Margaret Alkek Williams, Lauren Anderson, Lynn Wyatt, Anne and Albert Chao, Leigh and Reggie Smith, Phoebe and Bobby Tudor, Jesse H. Jones II and Terry Wayne Jones, Rose Cullen, Lilly and Harrison Cullen, Kristy and Chris Bradshaw, Ann Trammell, Jo and Jim Furr, Beth Muecke, Fady Armanious and Bill Baldwin, Susan and Gary Binney, and Ileana and Michael Treviño.
Richard Flowers and Lynn Wyatt
Margaret Alkek Williams, Stanton Welch
Alan May and Elia Gabbanelli
Anne and Albert Chao
David Peck and David Bamfold
Dan and Heather Prouter with Chad Libertus
Fady Armanious and Bill Baldwin
Frank and Stephanie Tsuru, Kelli Weinzierl, Jim Nelson
Jo and Jim Furr
Lauren Anderson, Edward and Deborah Koehler
Harrison and Lilly Cullen, Keefer and Laura Lehner
Ileana and Michael Treviño
Jerry Ann Woodfin-Costa and Victor Costa
Marc and Duyen Nguyen
Nick and Beth Zdeblick
Stephanie Tsuru, Kelli Weinzierl
Troy and Allison Thacker
- Inside the Wonderful Winter Ball! - Houston CityBook ›
- 'Nutcracker' Prince Harper Watters Would Like a Bathtub Full of ... ›
- Houston Ballet to Perform Live For First Time in More Than a Year ... ›
- Houston Ballet Patrons Toast Troupe's Glorious Return to Live ... ›
- Virtual 'Home Edition' Ballet Ball Stars Ballet Dancers Gone Disco ... ›
- - Houston CityBook ›
- Opera Ball Returns with Vivid Moroccan Theme, a $1.25 Million Haul and Even a Camel! - Houston CityBook ›
- Ballet’s Contemporary-Cool New Season Includes a Punk-Tinged ‘Peter Pan,’ Opening Friday - Houston CityBook ›
- Ballet Building Officially Named to Honor Margaret Alkek Williams at Downtown Fete - Houston CityBook ›
- ‘Plumshuga’ Play Celebrating Life of Legendary Dancer Lauren Anderson to Bow at Stages - Houston CityBook ›