Sensational Spin-Offs, Market-Savvy Cafés and More: Best New Restaurants Opening This Week
AFTER A LONG year-plus of operating in survival mode, restaurants and their owners are enjoying the anticipated return to their patrons' normal routines. And many are setting into motion long-held plans to expand and open new hot spots — like these concepts slated to open in the next week. Keep scrolling to find out what all is on the menu!
Badolina (photo by Ralph Smith)
BADOLINA Those who have had the pleasure of dining at Israeli steakhouse Doris Metropolitan on Shepherd know that the best part of an already fantastic meal there is the bread basket. Now, the owners — who recently formed a restaurant group called Sof Hospitality — are making the most of their carb-savvy rep, spinning off Badolina Bakery & Café in Rice Village.
It opens today, with tons of fresh baked breads, pastries of the sweet and savory variety, custom cakes, to-die-for desserts and more. It's all been in the works for more than a year; the team spent much of the pandemic testing new recipes and planning the 1,500-square-foot space, which is situated next door to the group's forthcoming Hamsa restaurant.
Agnes (photo by Kirsten Gilliam)
AGNES This "fine-casual" café-grocery-store hybrid opens in the space formerly occupied by Tropicales on Tuesday. Boasting Mediterranean eats for breakfast and lunch — dinner to follow soon! — Agnes Café & Provisions is the first joint venture from Molly Voorhees (Beck's Prime, The Chocolate Bar) and Carolyn Dorros (Wolff Companies). The St. John's School grads reimagined the Michael Hsu-designed space with help from Garrison Design Office, who updated it with tan leather banquettes, accents of oak and brass, and a new marble bar.
Treat yourself with baklava granola or breakfast mezze in the morning, or perhaps opt for a black-bean-and-beet burger with tahini ranch on brioche for lunch. There will be wine and cocktails — like a rosemary paloma and a blood-orange marg made with mescal — too.
Agnes' retail section will proffer unique hostess gifts, along with bottles of fine wine, pre-made dips, dressings and dishes, and more.
SWEETGREENThe fifth area location of Sweetgreen also opens next Tuesday, June 8, in the just-opened M-K-T Heights development. There'll be ample seating on the spacious patio, and inside, art courtesy of local maker Dana Caldera, whose collage pieces layer found materials and paint, adorn the walls. Additionally, Sweetgreen will make an opening-day donation to Brighter Bites and Black Lives Matter Houston.
NoPo Café (photo by Kirsten Gilliam)
NOPO CAFÉ The latest concept from Ben Berg may open next week, too, next-door to Berg Hospitality's corporate office on North Post Oak, just west of Timbergrove. Boasting a cozy French-country-inspired dining room and bar, the all-day NoPo Café — offering counter service for breakfast and lunch, and full service at dinner — is a collaboration with Robert Cay of Clay Development & Construction. Similar to Agnes, NoPo will have a retail element, with local provisions, premade meals and fresh baked pastries. Keep an eye on social for official opening announcements!
- Chris Shepherd Fires Up New Restaurant off Allen Parkway ... ›
- The Year's Most Anticipated Restaurants - Houston CityBook ›
- Heights Culinary Pioneer Returns with New Restaurant - Houston ... ›
- Michelin-Starred Chefs Announce Plans for New Restaurants at ... ›
- Berg’s All-Day Neighborhood Diner NoPo Café Opens Today - Houston CityBook ›
- New Restaurants! Get a Sneak Peek at Five Eateries Opening Right Now in Houston - Houston CityBook ›
- Late-Night Pizza, Adair Expands & More: This Week’s Food News in Small Bites - Houston CityBook ›
- New Restaurants: High-End Sushi, Down-Home Burgers & More! - Houston CityBook ›
- Wine Time, Super-Hot Chicken & More: The Week’s Tastiest Food News - Houston CityBook ›
- Can’t-Miss Spring Openings: Return of a Celeb Chef, New Montrose Hot Spot & More! - Houston CityBook ›
- With These New Restaurants, Houston’s Dining Scene Is as Hot as the August Temps - Houston CityBook ›
- Tel Aviv Vibes: Inside Rice Village’s Brightly Modern New Hamsa - Houston CityBook ›
- Fall Beckons with New Restaurant Openings and Expansions - Houston CityBook ›
- This Week's Food News: A Tex-Mex Newcomer, Rice Village Turns 'Blue,' and More - Houston CityBook ›