Michelin-Starred Chefs Announce Plans for New Restaurants at MFAH’s Kinder Building
THE MFAH'S NANCY and Rich Kinder Building, which first opened in November, will soon be home to two concepts by two different Michelin-starred chefs, both with the New York-based group Bastion Restaurants.
The first, Cafe Leonelli, is scheduled to open in mid-March, with traditional Italian cuisine by Jonathan Benno. Expect friendly environs and an accessible price-point, with items like house-baked focaccia, polenta and more, served buffet-style. Within, there will be an outpost of famous pastry chef Salvatore Martone's Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen; the creations are almost as artful as the masterpieces on display throughout the rest of the building. (And, for what it's worth, in the restaurant itself: Trenton Doyle-Hancock's wall-size mural, "Color Flash for Chat and Chew, Paris Texas in Seventy-Two," depicts an abstracted forest. And Spencer Finch's Moon Dust (Apollo 17) hangs overhead.)
The second concept, Le Jardinier, a full-service restaurant from chef Alain Verzeroli, will open about a month later, with a menu inspired by "the rhythm of nature," as portrayed through seasonal, vegetable-forward plates. Al fresco dining will take place amid the Sculpture Garden.
Bastion, which is behind the successful La Table on Post Oak, sought out Houston as a destination for additional locations, citing the city's friendly culinary climate. "We have seen firsthand how this city is such a great incubator of culinary talent," said Antonio Begonja, chief operating officer. "To that end, we wanted to bring the brands we developed in New York and Miami to this culturally-diverse community so they can continue to grow."
- Final Component of New MFAH Campus Opening Soon - Houston ... ›
- Greater Houston Partnership’s 2020 Recap: A Post-Pandemic Economy, Honoring Rich Kinder - Houston CityBook ›
- Fried Chicken, Banh Mi and More: Where to Eat This Week - Houston CityBook ›
- Cafe Leonelli Now Open at the MFAH - Houston CityBook ›
- MFAH’s Le Jardinier Will Bloom May 18 - Houston CityBook ›
- Sensational Spin-Offs, Market-Savvy Cafés and More: Best New Restaurants Opening This Week - Houston CityBook ›
- Ex Uchi Prep Cook Opens Own Place in CityCentre, Says Local Art and Vinyl Records on the Menu - Houston CityBook ›
- Two New Exhibitions Coming to the MFAH This Fall Will Provide Fresh Perspectives on the Works of O’Keeffe, Picasso and Calder - Houston CityBook ›
- New Restaurants! Get a Sneak Peek at Five Eateries Opening Right Now in Houston - Houston CityBook ›
- Late-Night Pizza, Adair Expands & More: This Week’s Food News in Small Bites - Houston CityBook ›
- Hitchcock’s Houston Connection on Display at New Lynn Wyatt Theater - Houston CityBook ›
- Wine Time, Super-Hot Chicken & More: The Week’s Tastiest Food News - Houston CityBook ›
- This Week in Food: What’s New and What to Do - Houston CityBook ›
- MFAH’s New ‘Culinary Canvas’ Series Is a Feast for the Eyes and Palate - Houston CityBook ›
- This Weekend at MFAH: Enjoy Kusama Cookies, Rosé Cocktails and More on the ‘Culinary Canvas’ Menu - Houston CityBook ›