THE MFAH'S NANCY and Rich Kinder Building, which first opened in November, will soon be home to two concepts by two different Michelin-starred chefs, both with the New York-based group Bastion Restaurants.
The first, Cafe Leonelli, is scheduled to open in mid-March, with traditional Italian cuisine by Jonathan Benno. Expect friendly environs and an accessible price-point, with items like house-baked focaccia, polenta and more, served buffet-style. Within, there will be an outpost of famous pastry chef Salvatore Martone's Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen; the creations are almost as artful as the masterpieces on display throughout the rest of the building. (And, for what it's worth, in the restaurant itself: Trenton Doyle-Hancock's wall-size mural, "Color Flash for Chat and Chew, Paris Texas in Seventy-Two," depicts an abstracted forest. And Spencer Finch's Moon Dust (Apollo 17) hangs overhead.)
The second concept, Le Jardinier, a full-service restaurant from chef Alain Verzeroli, will open about a month later, with a menu inspired by "the rhythm of nature," as portrayed through seasonal, vegetable-forward plates. Al fresco dining will take place amid the Sculpture Garden.
Bastion, which is behind the successful La Table on Post Oak, sought out Houston as a destination for additional locations, citing the city's friendly culinary climate. "We have seen firsthand how this city is such a great incubator of culinary talent," said Antonio Begonja, chief operating officer. "To that end, we wanted to bring the brands we developed in New York and Miami to this culturally-diverse community so they can continue to grow."
- Final Component of New MFAH Campus Opening Soon - Houston ... ›
- Greater Houston Partnership’s 2020 Recap: A Post-Pandemic Economy, Honoring Rich Kinder - Houston CityBook ›
- Fried Chicken, Banh Mi and More: Where to Eat This Week - Houston CityBook ›
- Cafe Leonelli Now Open at the MFAH - Houston CityBook ›
- MFAH’s Le Jardinier Will Bloom May 18 - Houston CityBook ›
- Sensational Spin-Offs, Market-Savvy Cafés and More: Best New Restaurants Opening This Week - Houston CityBook ›
- Ex Uchi Prep Cook Opens Own Place in CityCentre, Says Local Art and Vinyl Records on the Menu - Houston CityBook ›
- Two New Exhibitions Coming to the MFAH This Fall Will Provide Fresh Perspectives on the Works of O’Keeffe, Picasso and Calder - Houston CityBook ›